Hotmail used to be one of the most popular email services over the years. Although this popularity has been walloped in recent times, the large chunk of the old customers still uses it. Hotmail is maintained and marketed by Microsoft. To ensure better security for the customers, Microsoft introduces the updated modus operandi of the services.
The same procedure demands the users to change Hotmail password from time to time. Depending on the device that the user is using, the methods to perform the task also vary. We have covered the techniques of Hotmail password change for desktop, iPad, and Mac in this article.
Why do you need to change Hotmail password?
There can be different reasons that may stem from the need for Hotmail password change. We have listed the most common ones here-
The security system of an online service is a racing platform between the hackers and the service providers. The providers come up with updated security systems, and the hackers come up with ideas to penetrate them. If the Hotmail services come under such potential threats, the users are required to change the existing password. It makes personal data theft much more complicated for hackers.
Loss of device
Usually, people choose to keep their profiles logged in their primary devices. It saves time and annoyance by eliminating the need to enter the credentials every time you want to open the profile. But if the primary device is lost, then you need to change the password before the wrong person gets his hand on your profile.
Public domain usage
Have you recently accessed your Hotmail profile on a public computer? Maybe in your computer lab or office computer? If yes, then it is a good idea to change the password of your profile. These computers are used by a lot of people daily. You do not want them to look at your mails, do you?
Sometimes, you may let someone else handle a task in your Hotmail profile. It is a common occurrence among colleagues and friends. Or you may have opened the profile in someone else’s device. In either case, it is not smart to leave any trace for it. So, whenever such scenarios occur, log out from all the gadgets and change your password.
How to change Hotmail password on a desktop
Now that you have a reason to change your Hotmail password let’s guide you step by step to carry out the task.
- Go to your Hotmail account login page. It is the same page for both Hotmail and Outlook email services. Type the email address and the associated password to log in to your Hotmail email account. It might look like an Outlook email account, but it is the Hotmail account that you are concerned about.
- Look at the upper corner of your right-hand side. You will find your Username. Click on your Username to bring a small list of menu. From the menu, choose the “Account settings” option. It is the second last option on the list.
- The previous step will open up a new page which will allow you to access the settings of your account. On the left sidebar of the new window, click on the “Security & Password” settings under the “Account” option.
Once you click on the “Security & Password” option, either of two pages may appear. It will depend on whether you have verified your account before or not. If you have already confirmed the account, then move on to step 7. If you have not, continue from step 4.
- As you have not verified your account before, you will need to do so before changing the password. It will display the associated email id that you have previously linked to the Hotmail account. The page will only show a portion of the email, and you will need to write the full email id on the provided space. Make sure that you have access to this email as the Microsoft team will be sending a verification code to that. Type the email id and hit “next.”
- Open the associated email account. You will find an email from Microsoft. Open the email and copy the code that it contains.
- Now, paste the code in the Hotmail account recovery process page. Check the box that says you use the device frequently. It will eliminate the need for verifying your authenticity over and over again. Once you do this, click on the “Submit” button. It will take you to the page that we have mentioned in step 3. As your account is verified, you will now be able to change the password of your account.
- On the main body of the page, “Change your password” option under the “Protect your account” section. The phrase is highlighted in blue. Click on the same. The main body of the page changes and brings the open to choose your new password.
- Before setting up a new password, you will need to provide the old password. Enter the old password in the assigned space. Now, focus on the new password. The password must have at least eight characters. Make sure that you choose a strong password. Use letters, numbers, and special characters for the same. You can use a mixer of upper and lower case letters to make it even harder to guess. In any circumstances, do not choose the old password as your new one.
- Once you type the new password, you will also need to confirm it. Keep in mind that the passwords are case sensitive. Now, click on the “Save” button to save the new password. You can also opt to receive a prompt to change your password every 72 days at this step. That will keep your account even safer.
- Close the window and re-open your browser to login to your Hotmail account with the new password.
How to change Hotmail password on iPad?
Now, if you want to change Hotmail password on iPad instead of a desktop, then here is what you will need to do-
- Go to the Home screen of your iPad device and click on the “Settings” icon.
- On the “Settings” option, you will come across various sub-categories. But the one that you should be concerned at this moment is “Mails, Contact, and Calendars.” Scroll down the menu, find it, and click on it.
- On the following page, you will find the “Accounts” section. It will display all the accounts that have been configured in your iPad device before. So if you want to change the password of your Hotmail account via this device, make sure that you have previously set the same in your device.
- If you have configured the account before, you will find it under the “Accounts” section. Click on the “Hotmail” option at this point. It will bring up the Hotmail email id that is present in the device. Make sure that it is the one that you have been looking for so far. Click on the arrow button (>) here.
- It will bring up the credentials of the account. Like the description, password, Username, etc. of the account. You can change the password of your Hotmail account from this screen. Do so from the accredited space on the page that you have just landed.
As we have already mentioned in the desktop section, you should choose the hardest password that you can think of right now. Make sure that no one can guess it in the future, not even your close friends. Once you are done with confirming the new password, click on the “Done” button at the top right corner of your screen. You have successfully performed the password changing process at this point.
How to change Hotmail password on Mac?
It is the last guide that
we are providing on this article to change the password of your Hotmail
account. Changing the password of your email account in your Mac and iPad is
almost the same, which is quite understandable. Without further ado, let’s get
to the steps-
- On your Mac device, launch the Mail menu.
- Now, from the menu, choose the option “Mail.” Follow it by clicking on the “Preferences” option.
- Next, choose the “accounts” tab on the left corner of the screen. It will bring out all the email accounts that you have been accessing from the device. They will appear on the left side of the screen.
- Among the list of email accounts, choose the Hotmail account of which you want to change the password.
- On the right panel of your screen, you will see the credentials of the Hotmail email account. Click on the “Password” section and select the old password. Next, type in the new password that you want to give to the email account. For ideas on how to choose your password, refer to step 8 of changing the Hotmail password on a desktop of this article.
- Close the “Preferences” window to finish the task. You can now login to your Hotmail account with the new password.
This is it! That’s how you can change the password of your Hotmail account in desktop, iPad, or a Mac device.