Universal Account Number or UAN is an integral part of the Employees Provident Fund today. With this number, you can access all relevant data about your PF, such as account balance and employer’s contribution. Furthermore, for withdrawal and loan against your provident fund, you need to possess a UAN number.
If you have no clue how to acquire a UAN online, here are some steps that you need to follow.
Getting a UAN for your PF account
Employees have 3 avenues when seeking their UAN.
- From employer- Most companies offer a UAN number to their employees after they join the organization. In some cases, employers provide the number on their salary slip as well.
- Through UAN app- If due to some unforeseen issue, your employer is unable to provide a UAN you can acquire it yourself by logging into the official UAN portal online. Follow the steps mentioned below to avail of this number easily.
- Step 1: Download the official UAN App on your Android phone via the Google Play Store.
- Step 2: Open this app and refer to the ‘Know your UAN Status’ option.
- Step 3: A page opens where you need to enter multiple details. First, select your state of residence from the dropdown menu. From a similar dropdown menu, choose an EPFO Office. Carefully enter your Member ID/PF number in the appropriate blank. Additionally, enter your name, mobile number, phone number, Email address on the same page. Perform the captcha code verification. If you are unaware of your PF number/Member ID, refer to the salary slip, where it is listed. After filling in all details accurately, proceed by clicking on the ‘Get Authorization Pin’ option on the page.
- Step 4: A message relaying the one-time-password or OTP will arrive on the registered phone number. Therefore, keep the device handy and check for this code.
- Step 5: Once you get the OTP, enter it into the specified field on the UAN app. Click on ‘Validate OTP and get UAN’ button on the page.
- Step 6: Within a few seconds, you will receive a text message on your phone carrying the UAN.
- Through the EPFO portal- While this app procedure is the simplest way to generate your UAN online, it is limited in some ways. For instance, the app is only available on Android devices. Therefore, if your phone runs on other operating systems, like Windows or iOS, you can visit the EPFO portal to acquire the UAN instead.
- Step 1: Visit the official EPFO website.
- Step 2: Go to the ‘Our Services’ tab and select the ‘For Employees’ option.
- Step 3: Next, click on ‘Member UAN/Online Service’ on the page that opens.
- Step 4: Another page will open, where you need to select the ‘Know your UAN Status’ option. After selecting the option, you need to simply follow the same procedure mentioned in Step 3 through Step 6 in the app method for acquiring UAN.
Why is UAN online integral for your financial well-being?
With the UAN, you can check your PF account balance after regular intervals. Furthermore, with it, you can access records of the employer’s contribution towards your PF. Lastly, retired individuals, looking to avail the provident fund for fixed deposit investment or personal use can easily use the online portal for withdrawals.
One of the ways to manage your money more effectively is to maintain a clear understanding of your finances. Most individuals without a UAN go through their entire career without knowing exactly how much provident funds they acquired over their employment. By the time they retire, they are optimistic about their EPF, but the actual money present often falls short of their hopes.
Another common retirement mistakes to avoid when it comes to PF is to let it accumulate in a savings account. After withdrawal, ensure you find good investment options so that the funds keep growing even when your income stops. You can opt for financers such as Bajaj Finance who offer an additional 0.35% on their Fixed Deposits for senior citizens.
Acquiring a UAN is your first step towards the goal of a safe and secure retired life. Consult your employer about it or get one yourself to take advantage of all EPF facilities.