Olympiads helps in improving your problem-solving abilities, logical reasoning but also trains you to think and answer analytically. Math Olympiads, such as AMC math competition, is ideal because it’s an analytical subject itself. It provides the students with the necessary exposure and helps them in inculcating certain values such as discipline, working hard, and recognizing the value time.
To be able to represent your nation is a great opportunity. There are many national and international opportunities, as well. Scoring in AMC math competition is a considerable achievement, and after clearing national level competitions, you can even apply for other international programs. There are many benefits and rewards for making an Olympiad as well. But the vital question to ask is, how to channelize these stream of thoughts into reality, right? Here are a few tips that will help you prepare :
- Understand your syllabus – The syllabus at least in the initial level varies from country to country. The American math Olympiad usually requires you to clear the AMC 8, AMC 10 and AMC 12 before appearing for an Olympiad. It is best to keep in mind the kind of questions and curriculum that your Olympiad has and work accordingly.
- Consult – Take it as a given, but you will be stuck up In certain areas. The idea is to take note of these things and then consult a teacher. Without the supervision of a senior or a teacher is quite difficult to score in an Olympiad. If not teachers, then do contact your seniors.
- Time management – This is the crucial element of your preparation. You absolutely cannot afford to waste your time. Prepare a proper schedule and stick to it. Plan all your outings or social gatherings, only after you have completed your today’s target. You have to use time as a tool that eases your preparation wisely. Don’t leave something for the end time.
- Keep up with updates – Since, AMC math competition a school curriculum exam, you might not be aware of specific changes in its time slots. Curriculum, etc. Therefore, you need to keep track of the updates. You can gather all the information from the official website. Keep checking it regularly, to see if there are any changes. It is essential to be aware of these updates.
- Practice mantra – Practice makes the man perfect, right? Quite an old saying, but still equally valid. Keep solving sample papers, previous year question papers. Mathematics is all about practice, the more you practice, your ability to solve the problems would increase. You will be able to analyses the questions in a more profound manner.
- Keep your calm and enthusiasm together – Do not let your emotions overrule your mind. Try to stay relaxed and think calmly. Do not panic in any situation. Along with that, don’t let your enthusiasm and motivation jump out of the window. It is important to keep yourself motivated throughout this process.
These were a few tips that will surely help you on your journey. The secret? It’s simple, don’t ever give up.