Hyper V is a virtualization platform launched by MS in 2008 and since after that MS has launched many new releases of Hyper-V versions. From 2008, till now four versions of Hyper-V has been launched, and those are Windows server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows server 2008 R2 and Windows server 2008.
Hyper-V is a Windows Server feature, but even after that, it is also available as an apart product called Microsoft Hyper-V Server. It is a hybrid hypervisor, and it is installed with the help of Windows Wizard of adding roles.
Users can also install hyper-v just like any other program installation. You just need to make sure that your Windows is newer than 2008. If users have any version of Windows older than 2008. Then it is recommended that users update it firstly and then install hyper V. Once it is installed. Your computer will need a reboot. After that reboot procedure, users will see that few additional services have been installed in users computer including hyper v manager.
How Hyper-V is Helpful
- With Hyper-V you have a flexible cloud environment, which lets you expand your use of shared resources, let you supply It services as per demand and also manage utilization if there is a change in demand.
- If there is any scheduled or unscheduled stoppage of your assignments, then Hyper-V makes sure that the impact of both of them is low.
- With the help of Hyper-V, you can have a centralized desktop strategy, which can ultimately increase your business quickness and data safety.
- Hyper-V contains security measures which protect and the data and the system from the malware attack and Unauthorized Access.
- It provides double security to your data, as it safeguards your system and data from malware. It also generates copies of virtual machines and saves it for the time of disaster to assists the user with the backup and recovery support.
How to Attach VHD Using Hyper-V
To attach VHD to the virtual machine using Hyper-V, you first need to have a version of Windows newer than 2008 and install Hyper-V in your machine. Now the below follow-mentioned steps.
- Go to the Hyper-V manager centre, choose the virtual machine and hit on Settings.
- Now, choose the controller type that you need to connect to the disk.
- There are two type of controllers, IDE Controller, and SCSI Controller. Highlight the drive, choose any and hit on Add.
- On the next screen, you can change how the choose virtual disk is connected to the virtual machine, need to give a path to the file, and can also remove the virtual hard disk.
- So, from the first Dropdown, choose the needed controller. The controller is automatically chosen but if the needed user can choose the desired controller.
- The next will be the location option; there you need to set the location for the controller to connect the disk to. Make sure that you cannot pick a location which is already in use; it will be marked as In Use.
- Next, you need to perform a search to find the file that you need to attach. For this, hit on the navigate button and search for the file.
- Now, at the last step, you need to apply all the changes that you have made recently. In the settings dialogue box, hit on OK or Apply.
Why Do You Need to Attach VHD to Virtual Machine?
There are different reasons for which you might need to attach VHD to VM. When a new disk is needed for an existing virtual machine, or when the VHD is intact, but the files of the virtual machine are damaged, when you need to transfer duplicates of virtual disks to one or more locations, when you need to transfer files between a host or guest or other test virtual machines.
What If Your VHD File is Corrupted?
It is the best way to fix VHD ile is corrupted and unreadable error. Simply go for the third party application named as SysTools VHD Recovery Software. It has multiple useful features that assist to make recovery simple. You just use this utility and get all your virtual machine VHD or VHDX data file in healthy state. This software is capable to recover photos, videos, audio’s, documents, multimedia etc. This application can recover unlimited files and folders without any file size issues. It has the ability to recover shift deleted data from VHD file. You install this software Without installation of the virtual machine.
- Download VHD Recovery Software on your Windows computer
Then hit on open button from the Menu bar
- Navigate to the location where you have saved your VHD or VHDX (Virtual Hard Drive) and browse. But the virtual disk should be unmounted.
- Here the tool will give you several options, choose the needed one. To recover corrupted data from vhd. Check Advance Radio Button and from Scan type.
- After completing the scan process the tool will give you the preview of restored items in software pane.
- Now hit on the Save button from the tool menu bar and give the location to save recovered files. Then, go to the location and view corrupted virtual hard disk files in a healthy state.