If you are not aware of what Pilonidal Sinus is, then let us help you. It is a very minute hole in the skin. There may be some pus or fluid inside the tunnel or shaft. This pus-filled tunnel will lead to the formation of an abscess or cyst. Generally, the occurrence of such abscess takes place at the cleft at the upper side of the buttocks. If the abscess is infected, then it will definitely smell bad and will have a foul smell.
This health condition normally affects men who sit for a long time due to their work profile, for instance, cab drivers. But nowadays, due to the sedentary lifestyle of young adults, they too are getting affected by pilonidal sinus.
If you are going through the problem of Pilonidal sinus, then you need to take immediate action. You must visit an expert who can offer effective Pilonidal sinus treatment and cure your health condition. If you cause further delay, then it may worsen the situation.
Causes of Pilonidal Sinus:
There can be several causes of Pilonidal sinus. But the most significant reason is the alteration in hormones during puberty, friction from clothes, sitting continuously for long hours, and excessive hair growth in the buttock region. When you tend to sit for a very long time, then the friction caused by clothes or your hair will irritate your skin. Your body will try to remove the hair or clothe by launching an immune system on its own. Thus, a cyst will d around the hair. Therefore, Pilonidal sinus formation takes place. In worse conditions, a person may have more than one sinus, which is connected beneath the skin.
Symptoms of Pilonidal sinus:
There can be several symptoms of Pilonidal sinus, which you need to identify to avoid any severe consequence. Following are some of the symptoms which you need to keep checking:
- Dimple like depression on the skin
- Swelling in the cyst-like structure
- Feeling pain while sitting or standing
- Protruding hair from the cyst
- Reddening of the cyst-like structure
Pilonidal sinus treatment:
Once you have identified and understood that you have Pilonidal Sinus, then you need to undergo Pilonidal sinus treatment without any further delay. There are several methods using which an expert doctor will treat you and help you in getting rid of the painful health condition.
- Lancing: If you have pus inside the abscess, then your doctor may use this method to alleviate the issue. After the opening of the abscess, he will remove and clean the area. The wound takes about four weeks to heal.
- Conservative treatment: This method is useful when your pilonidal sinus is still in the beginning stage, and you do not feel that much pain and discomfort. The doctor may prescribe you a broad-spectrum antibiotic.
- Phenol injection: Your doctor will inject an antiseptic compound called phenol inside the cyst. This will result in the gradual hardening of the cyst from inside. You need to take such injections quite a few times.
- Surgery: Even after trying all the methods, if you still suffer from Pilonidal sinus, then you need to undertake the operation. You have to take proper care after the surgery.
Post-operative care after Pilonidal Sinus surgery:
- Generally, the surgery will not be that much pain. You can take some pain medications, as suggested by your doctor. You can also try using an ice pack for the first 12 to 24 hours after the surgery.
- You need to gauze in the wound regularly. This step will help in the healing of the wound from within.
- The healing process takes time. You need to be patient. After two weeks, the healing process will be visible in naked eyes. Even if you feel that your wound has completely healed, do not stop caring for the injury before asking your doctor.
- You may find it challenging to keep gauze in the wound while you are moving. But you have to try and make a limited motion. You have to be persistent enough to keep gauze in the wounded region.
- In the initial period after the surgery, a tape will help the gauze to keep in place. But at later stages, the tape can be quite harmful. It may irritate the skin around the wound.
Now that you know the causes, symptoms, and treatments of Pilonidal sinus, you need to check if you are suffering from Pilonidal sinus or not. If you notice any of the above-mentioned symptoms, then you have to visit an expert doctor who provides the best treatment. One such doctor is Dr. Ashish Bhanot. He has years of experience and immense expertise in this field. His vast client base testifies that Dr. Ashish Bhanot is the best doctor for Pilonidal sinus treatment in Delhi.