If you are experiencing extreme tooth pain then, it is really difficult for you to sleep peacefully at night. Even as it will increase its severity day-after-day, it makes you feel utmost discomfort throughout the day time as well.
Moreover it will interfere with your daily activities including eating and drinking. But there is nothing to worry about as it can be relieved with the help of relevant home remedies and a couple of other ways. Read on this blog to know them.
Get rid of tooth pain overnight
Toothache treatment options at home include the processes of pain management. Some relevant ways of eliminating the tooth pain completely and that too overnight are mentioned as:
- Application of ice-pack before bed time- Wrap a few ice cubes in cloth and apply it on the side of the face which is painful. It can be rested there too at the same time. It will diminish the pain over night.
- Rinse the entire mouth with mouthwash- Use alcohol-loaded mouthwash for numbing the teeth and disinfect the mouth for alleviating the pain completely.
- Avoid the consumption of hard, cold and acidic foods prior to bed time- These types of food have the potential for aggravating the teeth to influence the cavity to affect more resulting in worsening of the oral health. Foods which can trigger toothache should be avoided as well.
- The head must be kept elevated- Keeping the head at a higher elevation can flow blood to the brain easily. If it may get pooled up there this will definitely increase the severity of the pain forcing you to spend sleepless night.
- Taking of OTC (over-the-counter) pain medication- Intake of certain OTC medicines such as aspirin, acetaminophen (Tylenol) and ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) can offer much-needed relief from the toothache. Use of numbing gels or toothpaste (especially come benzocaine-loaded) can be effective as well for making you fall asleep. Never use these products for treating tooth pain in kids or infants at the same time.
Natural remedies to opt for tooth pain
Therapeutic methods and natural remedies have been proved as efficient from long time back. Most natural healers treat dental problems along with tooth pain overnight with natural remedies. Some common natural remedies that have potential to subside the pain overnight are mentioned below:
- Tobacco leaves
- Sunflower leaves
- Sweet potato leaves
- Pear bark and seed
- Mango bark
- Guava leaves
Before using any natural remedy or therapeutic method, it is highly recommended to discuss with the dentist. It is essential because use of certain oils or plants may end up with any allergic reaction.
Potential causes of tooth pain
Tooth pain can cause from any minor infection in your gums and teeth. Pain in other body parts can also result in toothaches at the same time. Yet some most usual causes of tooth pain are given below for your references:
- Jaw or mouth injury- It results from any forced blunt trauma in the facial spot.
- Sinus infection- Sinus infection drainage causes excruciating tooth pain.
- Tooth decay- Tooth decay formed by bacterial build up exposes the nerves of the tooth causing intolerable pain.
- Loose filling- In case the filling gets loosened, the covered nerves of the teeth get revealed causing pain.
- Infected or abscessed teeth- Dental abscess, the condition which refers to the pus-filled pocket in the root of the tooth can cause extreme pain.
- Wedging of debris and food particles in the teeth- Trapping of both inorganic and organic matter within the teeth exerts pressure resulting in mild to severe toothache.
- Crowning of wisdom teeth or teething– In case, there is any emergence of wisdom teeth by breaking through your gums, it presses other teeth making you to feel the pain.
- Temporomandibular Joint Disorders-Abbreviated as TMJ, it represents that jaw joing pain but possesses the ability to affect the dental health as well.
- Gum disease- Certain gum diseases like periodontal diseases or gingivitis may lead to excessive pain or toothache.
- Grinding- Clenching or grinding of teeth at night can lead to pain in the teeth.
When is it essential to visit the dentist?
Keep the tooth pain under observation for the next 24-hour. If it diminishes then probably there may be an infection. But dentist appoint is essential if you experience the following conditions:
- Pain is getting severe day-by-day
- If it lasts for more than 2 days
- If it is associated with headache, fever and pain to open the mouth
- Difficulty in swallowing or breathing as well
If you found that the severity of the tooth pain increases day-by-day then, it is always advisable to visit an emergency dentist in London. By assessing your dental condition the potential reason of toothaches will be detected. Accordingly, the most suitable treatment will be determined to provide for relieving the pain.
In case there is any tooth decay, the dentist will clean it out and fill it prior to administer the treatment of tooth pain. For the cracked or split tooth, replacement with an artificial tooth or repairing will be suggested by the dentist. Sometimes sinus infection also leads to tooth pain and antibiotics are prescribed to eradicate the symptoms of sinus. Hence, the tooth pain will alleviate completely within a few days. Consult with your dentist on an urgent basis if the pain becomes too intolerable causing severe discomfort at the same time.