You are probably already familiar with the term ‘whey protein’. It is extremely popular and people, particularly the bodybuilding fraternity, swoon over it. The reason is plainly clear: It is undoubtedly the best protein supplement.
You’ve landed on this article to perhaps know a bit more about this wonder supplement. In this article, we shall present 5 good reasons to love whey protein.
What is whey protein?
Whey protein, just like casein, is obtained from milk during the process of making cheese. Casein is a slow-acting protein and on the other hand, whey protein acts fast. It gets easily digested and has a high absorption rate as compared to most proteins.
Whey protein has a rich amino acid profile. It has all 9 essential amino acids that your body cannot produce on its own.
Quick facts on whey protein
- Whey protein is a combination of beta-lactoglobulin, immunoglobulins, alpha-lactalbumin, and bovine serum albumin
- Whey protein is believed to be helpful in reducing cholesterol levels and aiding weight loss
- It gets digested faster than other proteins and is a great source of essential amino acids
- Various researches have established that whey protein can be helpful in regulating blood pressure and reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases
- It might be helpful in treating Type 2 diabetes
- It can also boost the antioxidant defenses of the body
- It is a satiating component that helps in suppressing appetite and controls hunger
Whey protein is an excellent source of complete protein. Protein is considered as the building block of human life. Protein is also helpful in building muscles and aids muscle growth and recovery. Whey protein, especially, has muscle-building properties. This is why bodybuilders and athletes are going gaga over it.
3 super benefits of whey protein for bodybuilders
- Helps with building muscles and enhancing strength: Whey protein is beneficial for increasing muscle mass and enhancing muscle strength. Various bodybuilders and athletes consume it to enhance their performance.
This is how whey protein helps with gaining muscle mass:
- Whey protein contains all essential amino acids that our body is unable to produce on its own. Amino acids are known as the building blocks of the muscles and help in muscle protein synthesis.
- Leucine is one of the most crucial amino acids that play a vital role in muscle building and reduces muscle breakdown. Whey protein is rich in Leucine and hence helps with building muscles.
- Whey is easily absorbed in the body as compared to other types of protein. It, thus, helps in faster muscle repair and recovery after intense workouts. Muscle recovery is very crucial for improving strength. If you consistently supplement yourself with whey protein, with time, you’ll see an increased fatigue threshold and realize that your muscles are recovering faster.
- Helps in suppressing hunger and thus boosts fat loss: Whey protein keeps you full for a longer period of time as it is a very satiating component. It thus helps in controlling hunger by suppressing hunger pangs and cravings that lead to unhealthy snacking. This eventually helps with weight loss and maintenance.
You will eat fewer calories when consuming whey protein. Calorie restriction is an excellent way to keep a check on your weight. Whey protein switches your calorie requirements from high-carb and high-fat foods to leaner sources of protein that helps you in having a balanced diet. For bodybuilders and athletes who want to get lean and build muscle mass, whey protein is an excellent source.
Whey protein is not only beneficial for those involved in intense workouts but also helps an average individual who performs mild activities, to meet his/her daily protein needs.
- Helps with muscle recovery: Whey protein is very crucial for muscle recovery. When you perform heavy-duty workouts, your muscle fibers suffer micro-tears. This leads to sore muscles.it is very important to let these muscle fibers heal and repair themselves in order to avoid any further serious injuries and build stronger muscles. Whey protein is loaded with BCAA (Branched Chain Amino Acids) that are helpful in repairing muscle tissues. They boost the muscle recovery process.
Whey protein also serves as an excellent source of protein for vegetarians. There are only a few vegetarian foods that deliver lean protein. So, whey protein can be a great addition to the diet of vegetarians as it supplies all the essential amino acids and is a great lean protein source.
One should be very careful while choosing whey protein supplements.
Because the market today is flooded with a variety of whey protein supplements from various brands and it is easy to fall in the trap of fake or adulterated supplements. Plus, not all brands deliver what they claim.
Make it a habit to read the label and the ingredients list before buying any bodybuilding supplements. Choose a trusted and renowned brand like MuscleBlaze that offers premium products with international grade ingredients. They also have a unique authentication mechanism that eliminates the chances of receiving fake products.
A combination of right training and a balanced diet with whey protein powder is your key to having sturdy muscles and an attractive physique.