What is Nasolabial Fold?
Nasolabial folds are also referred to as ‘laugh lines’ or ‘smile lines’. These are a pair of lines that run from the side of the nose to the side of your mouth.
If you see the face of a baby, you would see that nasolabial folds are almost non-existent. These folds don’t appear till after you’ve entered in your 30s. After your 30s, these folds start to become more prominent, which gives your face an aging appearance.
A number of factors contribute to these folds becoming prominent as you age. First, the repeated use of cheeks muscles leads to the muscles going into a state of permanent spasms. This leads to these folds becoming more prominent. Second, you lose a considerable amount of cheek fat and ground tissue as you age. The loss of these elements gives your face a saggy appearance and makes your nasolabial folds more prominent. Finally, the loss of skin collagen, due to photo-aging, also contributes to these folds becoming more prominent.
Irrespective of the underlying cause, a prominent nasolabial fold is a tell-tale sign of mid-face aging.
If you’re troubled with your nasolabial fold becoming more prominent, you need not worry as this article is all about telling the options you have on contouring these folds and making your face youthful again.
Are you a candidate for nasolabial fold augmentation?
You are an ideal candidate for nasolabial fold augmentation if you have moderate to moderately severe nasolabial folds. If your nasolabial folds are only mild, it is better that you focus more on an appropriate skincare regimen instead of going for surgical correction.
Also, before going for the procedure, it is important that you have complete information about the procedure. You should also be aware of the risks and limitations of the procedures. Finally, you should have realistic expectations from the procedure.
How are nasolabial folds contoured?
The choice of treatment depends on determining the underlying cause. Your cosmetologist may recommend you following options:
- Botox injections: If your problem is due to the repeated use of the cheeks muscles and the muscles going into a state of spasm then Botox injections might be a good option for you. Injecting Botox into the injection areas helps relieve muscle tension and helps improve the appearance of nasolabial folds.
- Laser technique: If your problem is due to the damage done by photo-aging then the use of laser techniques might be a good option for you. The use of lasers helps boost the growth of new collagen and helps add volume to your cheeks; thereby, decreasing the appearance of nasolabial folds.
- Dermal fillers: In most of the cases, the main problem is the nasolabial folds becoming more prominent due to the cheeks losing their volume with age. In such situations, the use of dermal fillers might be a suitable option for you.
The dermal fillers used for this purpose include:
- Collagen-based fillers
- Hyaluronic acid based fillers like Restylane, Hylaform, and Juvederm
- Calcium hydroxalpatite based fillers like Radiance
- Poly-L-lactic acid based fillers like Sculptra
Are there any side effects?
The side effects would depend on the choice of the procedure. Each procedure has its own set of limitations and complications. However, some general side effects include not getting the desired results, allergies to the used material, risk of bleeding, swelling and pain at the operated sites etc.
What procedure is suitable for you?
Well, it depends. If you’re interested in getting your nasolabial folds contoured, you should talk to a wellness practitioner or dermatologist. You should discuss with him, in detail, the cause of prominent nasolabial folds in your case and the treatment option most suitable for you. You should then make a decision based on his recommendations.